Monday, March 9, 2009

Mixed Swimming?

I didn't think I would ever forget the humiliation that I felt the day that the Pastor, my boss, asked from the pulpit in front of the entire congregation "Is this youth swimming event a mixed swimming party"? I thought I would die. He continued further to attack me right there in church; he told me that no church group of his would be having boys and girls swimming together, "it would be a cold day in hell" were his exact words. I remember thinking, "is this 1978??? - you would think we were living in the 50's".

I remember driving home that night crying the entire way. Wondering how I, the new Youth Director, could have possibly known that he felt so strongly about this. How would I ever be able to go back to that place? How would I be able to face the kids, the parents, what was I going to say to him? We thought so differently, his views on youth ministry and mine were so totally opposite and here I was in his church and responsible for the spiritual well being and the activities of these kids - all 15 of them. I just wanted to quit, to find a new job, do anything other than have to meet with him the next morning.

Since that time, I have been on staff in 4 more churches - before meeting my husband and becoming a pastors wife. Oh for the days and problems of "mixed swimming parties". BUT, I still am in ministry and I still love serving the Lord some 30+ years. It is easy to want to quit, give up, change professions. But there is this little thing about "a calling". For some of us, the Lord set us apart for something unique. He annointed us, which personally I think means He gives us the extra special "something" that we need to handle "situations" like "mixed swimming parties".

But there is something else. We don't give up on the church. We do not let the opinions and views of others in ministry, who do not line up with ours, sway us from what the Lord has called us to do. Do we want to quit? Do we want to just change professions and do something else? Absolutely - sometimes monthly, for some weekly, daily. But I think maybe, just maybe the Lord might get frustrated with us as well.

Do we serve Him, not men, with our whole heart? Do we talk to Him, listen to Him, serve Him, and work for Him so wholeheartedly that nothing else matters?

Sometimes!!! Check your heart before you quit, He may have something really good around the corner...and remember, we only see now, He sees forever.

No comments: